A Big Day

It’s “start-jabbing-myself-with-FSH” day!

Before I go into detail about today, I’d like to mention that the Buserelin DID get easier. I’ve been on it for nearly two weeks now, and not only have I gotten much better at aiming it straight up into my head, but I’ve also been finding the side effects easier to cope with too.  Still get headaches, fatigue and stupidity, but it’s not as difficult to push through as it was a week ago.

So, despite not having to go to work today, I was up at 6:30am to get Frank & I to the lab for 8am so I could get my first of many blood tests.  This test is to check my hormone levels to make sure that the buserelin has been doing it’s job, and I’m where I need to be to proceed to phase 2.  Then upstairs for an ultrasound, which I didn’t think was going to be very exciting, but it was actually pretty cool.  About half way through, I felt bad that I’d left Frank in the waiting room (honestly, I didn’t think it was worth coming in for)…. but the doc was cool, and after he’d made all the notes he needed, he turned the monitor to me to show me mah ovaries.  He pointed out about a dozen dark spots, saying “these the follicles we’ll be tracking over the next few weeks”, and I realized that one of those very spots could be a baby soon.  I shoulda made Frank come in, however, there will be plenty more of that business before we’re through… so there’ll be plenty of opportunity to oogle my ovaries.

Next was a long sit with a very nice nurse, signing & witnessing consent forms, being taught how to prep & jab myself, asking all the dumb questions.  Then, back to reception to pay the piper a whopping $5,000, which is just the fees for the procedures, and not counting the amazingly expensive FSH that I would be purchasing later in the day.  I was all cool and focused in the office, but as soon as I stepped out of the building I felt like my head was going to explode.  Sooooo overwhelming.  Huge amount of money, consent forms to let them do stuff to my body & plumbing, tons of crap to remember, plus, don’t forget… jab myself with a needle every day for two weeks! Eeeeeeee!  But you know, I got over it.  A painkiller for the headache, a glass of water, a few deep breaths, & I was ready to get on with the day.

We had a nice brunch & called the clinic to get my blood results and be told what my first FSH dosage would be.  We dropped off the prescription, and then I took Frank to the Museum of Anthropology to see the Man Ray exhibit.  Our busy, overwhelming day at least had a little window of quiet museum snooping, and it was totally worth seeing. I enjoyed the calm while we had it, & then we were rushing back to pick up the prescription & get ourselves picked up to get to our rehearsal (which rocked) on time.  Frank needed to stay for another rehearsal and had really wanted to be with me for my first injection, so we did it right there at the studio…. a little nerve wracking for me, as I wasn’t quite sure if I was going to flip out over jabbing myself in the BELLY with a needle…. but it wasn’t that bad.  It was pokey going in, but once it was in, I didn’t really feel it.

And now I’m home, with a belly full of FSH, poised for the hormonal roller coaster that is sure to come.  I get a couple of clinic-free days, but starting Saturday I’ll have a daily pattern of going in for my 8am blood test, calling in at 12:30pm to get the results & my new dosage amount, and jab myself with the evening.  That’ll continue until it’s time to harvest my crop of eggs (determined by hormone levels & whatnot), which we expect to be around the 24th.

Exciting times. 🙂


2 Responses to “A Big Day”

  1. Arwen Says:

    Oh, thank you for blogging about all this – I find it really interesting & I love being excited for you both. Congrats on giving yourself a needle, too! Whoa!

  2. Sue Says:

    Congrats you two! And thanks for keeping us posted on the continuing adventure. 🙂 I know you’ll get used to the needle quickly too; the (3? I think) months I did it for gestational diabetes seemed daunting at the beginning, but looking back it turned out to be one of the easiest parental challenges to deal with.

    People who get squicked by needles should not read this possibly helpful yet potentially medically unsound tip: this could be totally the wrong way to do this, but I found that especially when using the stomach for an injection site, it was helpful to sort of lightly “bounce” the needle tip against my skin until I found a place I couldn’t feel it as much. That way when it went in it was missing more nerves and didn’t really hurt. Afterwards, I would imagine a little parade in my head to celebrate the accomplishment. 🙂

Leave a Reply